Saturday, August 23, 2008

Men's Olympic Marathon - Thoughts (I'll be brief...)

Okay, so I am watching Sammy rocket around the track to the finish line in Olympic Record style and Gharib running a pure guts race to win the silver, I am sort disheartened by the baffoonery of the commontators. If I had a nickel for every time they mentioned the heat and humidity and how it would lead to carnage at the end of the race, I could go out and buy a case of G2.

It isn't like the competitors didn't know about the chance of it being hot and humid. In fact, these same commontators were elaborating on how most athletes were going to places to simulate the conditions. Yes, if the runners were not smart there would be carnage, but most probably knew what they were capable of handling in the conditions - Sammy Wanjiru certainly did.

I think the smart pacing of Ritz and Hall should be admired, as it earned 9th and 10th places, respectively. I think this was a great performance, and given their ages, they will be back for London in four years, where there will probably be other Kenyans and Ethiopians to contend with.

I am continually astunded by the ability to run Sub 5 minute miles 26 times, consecutively. I know there is a formula to making yourself faster, but that kind of fast is so amazing.

No comments: