Sunday, February 22, 2009

Two Weeks of Training, Kahtoola Microspikes, and Why I Hate Shopping for Clothes.

If the title hasn't sent your mouse over to the browser bar to go off to some other site, I thank you. The last couple of weeks haven't been anything really special or different from the past couple of months. I still desperately want to run an Ultra this year. I am still frustrated with my IT Band friction syndrome limiting my training. I am even more frustrated with my utter disregard for nutrition and weight. On the plus side, I have a Physical Therapy appointment tomorrow with an ultra friendly therapist. I also bought some new gear that has allowed me to really put in more time on the trails, which makes me very happy.


First, here's my attempt at posting a video, as well as my first time using my new 'TofaTR Trail Cam". Bent on adding more media to the blog, here goes. A couple cautions, I have an eye disease wherein I don't have pigment on my retinas, so snow and sun are vicious to my vision, hence the squinting. Also, the initial audio might be very soft, again, first time using the new gadget.


Basically a couple segments tearing up some of the Bay Circuit Trail with the newly acquired Kahtoola Microspikes:






Kahtoolas were outstanding on the trails and provided superb traction on ascents, and provided ultimate confidence charging down hills. I was a little wary of spending $60 on a piece of seasonal gear, but the performance on the initial run was enough to convince me that they will be a great investment as long as the design and longevity are equal to the traction benefits. I was out on the trail for nearly an hour and they were not a burden as far as requiring extra movement or effort, thus not killing any energy better used in propelling oneself up the trail. In fact, my mile splits were almost a minute faster than the previous week's run on the same trail in the same conditions. The only downer was having to cross pavement with them on, but the ease of removal made this a moot point. Very high marks from this trail runner!



Next, very briefly, the last two weeks of training have been sort of mezza-mezza for me. Here are the details:



Week of 2/14: 4 days, 16.2 miles,

Long Run: 7.2 miles - 86 mins. (3.3 on Bay Circuit Trail).

Week of 2/21: 3 days, 14 miles,

Long Run: 7.5 miles - 78 mins. (4.3 on the BCT).



The thing is that I want to be running 5 to 6 days a week, I want to be working toward an ultra, and I want to be healthy. I do have the appointment with the Physical Therapist tomorrow, and the fact that I am able to run for 90 minutes with soreness, but not pain, is a plus. I might be that dude popping advil with S-Caps during an ultra. Hopefully tomorrow I will have a plan and a path. I passionately want to be on the trails this spring, and I want to test my limits as often as I possibly can. Absence from the long run has made me crave it more.



Finally, I HATE going clothes shopping. First, I find no happiness in spending money for clothes, but being married and having a wife that thinks that pants that have been in husband's wardrobe since they graduated from college 8 years ago are no longer appropriate for work. Whatever. I am creative, but I am a t-shirt and jeans guy. Writers need not be eccentric in person or snazzy dressers. More than all that, I just hate looking in the mirror, concerned with how my thunder thighs and keister don't fit in this or that style. I know, real macho, but I look at the junk in the trunk or the jiggle, and think, how I am going to run an ultra with all that coming along for the ride? I am surprised the USATF or Trail Running community leaders have not beat down my door and ripped up my runner credentials. We all come in different shapes and sizes, and that is cool, but from my diet and weight loss last spring I have become lax about nutrition and diet because of injury and am mostly frustrated about that!



Oh well, the great part about the trail running community is the friends one makes. I am really looking forward to a group run next weekend with a group of fellow all-conditions junkies, and the best part is that we all come as we are. The point is to enjoy the trail, chat about our adventures - past and future, and simply put one foot in front of the other to reach a common goal. Though the venue or arena of the challenge may be different, the tie that binds is the satisfaction we will all find in the crossing of a finish line.



So here's to the trail!



1 comment:

robtherunner said...

I'm liking the look of the snow on the trail. I struggle with the weight and the nutrition also, but the increase in running lately has put my mind at rest and kept the scale from creeping up. Keep up the faith. You'll be an ultrarunner before you know it.