Sunday, March 29, 2009

Oh So Many Questions...

Over the course of my life I have received lots of advice on life.

"Don't take it too seriously"
"Always find yourself on the side of right"
"In all things be and do your best"
"Life is just one big nut-filled turd, and it stinks"
"God has a plan for your life, In all things honor him"

and so on and so forth.

This weekend was supposed to be where I got out on the trail for the first time in a race situation, but it didn't happen. Here I could go deep into a ramble on issues and my utter confusion with the purpose of life, and the resulting bitterness, but I won't. Perhaps it is to personal, or I just to don't want to bore people. We all have problems and mine aren't more or less severe.

Basically, I have a lot of questions...

With running, I am not sure what the hell I am doing or really training for...

I am not signed up for any races at this point, and I think I am just going to spend the next week or two just trying to figure out how to take life, purpose, family, running, and faith one step at a time because right now everything is a mess.

And so the journey continues...

8 comments:

Dan said...

Rob, as you just said, take it "one step at a time". As with running, life taken with one small step, followed by another, is forward progress. Peace

trailgrrl said...

Rob,
The only thing I can say is at least you are asking the questions brother ; ) Just run Rob..you know...just get out there and run whether it be a race or a saturday afternoon hour of bliss.....

Also I think of the blog as a place to share..I think what makes it easier to work through periods of perosnal trials (crap) in our lives is knowing other people have to slog through crap too : )

robtherunner said...

I here ya, Rob! Keep asking the questions and figuring things out.

pathfinder said...

All the same questions many of us have asked ourselves through the years. Not just with running but many other avenues.

I agree with the others here, it doesn't matter if you are signed up for races, or even if you plan to.

Just find some time to get out there and run. A bit if free time just for you to mull over your life and let your brain relax.

We don't always "need" a big goal dangling in front of us....just enjoy the moment in time when you do get the chance to get out there.

RunMommyRun said...

Sometimes, you just have to focus on NOT figuring it all out. Chin up!

RunninRob said...

Thanks for you thoughts everyone!

Got out tonight and did 3.5 miles on roads and trails. Looking forward to running a nice cathartic easy 3 hours Saturday, anyone looking for an easy run with some walking breaks tossed in for good measure is welcome. I have a hankering to do the Reservior Trail at the MS Fells (3 x 5.2 mile loop) or an more local out & back over the Bay Circuit here in Rowley, touring Hood Pond, Willowdale, and perhaps Bradley Palmer? Let me know! Going Monastic this weekend is cool with me, but if anyone wants to tag along I am game. :-)

Ryan said...

I blame it all on the New England weather..where's the SUN? I see you guy's have been hitting the trails on Saturday wish I could join but my Saturdays are crazy with the kids....let me know if you ever want to go long on Sunday.

RunninRob said...

Hey there Ryan,

I might be privy to more Sunday runs, as I may have an 8 week coaching job that will consume my time on Saturdays for May and June. Even this weekend I don't have a plan - Sunday sounds like the better day. I am positive you are in far better shape than I am, though. My IT isn't making regular training possible, but I am happy to just be able to get out and go a few days a week, especially happy to be able to go long and slow once a week. I am sure this is a phase where I am supposed to be learning something new, just not sure what. :-)

-Rob