Thursday, April 30, 2009

It is All Fun & Games Until Someone Gets Kidney Failure!

Hi Everyone, this is just a really quick advisement to all runners and endurance athletes, both experienced and novice, that mixing Ibuprofen and activity can be extremely dangerous.

The last couple of days I have been having a scent of ammonia in my nose, wondering if someone is trying to poison me at work, but I have been fighting a cold for the last few weeks and occasionally get those persistent scents associated with stuffed up sinuses. Upon a quick search of what could cause a scent of ammonia, I found Kindey failure as one of the causes... yikes!

This comes on the heels of researching hyponatremia and how it can effect Ultra Runners, along with some other research about ibuprofen. Where I am not exactly convinced I am going into renal failure, I am well aware that my hair brained idea of popping a couple Ibuprofen to stay any inflamation of my IT Band during longer races or training runs may have some serious side effects beyond the general advisement about doing so to mask unwanted pain. I am slightly concerned to the point that I am making a doctor's appointment to at least make sure everything is functioning properly. Especially with longer races and adventures on the horizon.

Since I now know the level of my stupidity, I am hoping the discontinuation of the ibuprofen and the healing power of the human body will take over.

Nothing like a nice scare to get you going in the morning.

POSTSCRIPT:
I have continued my research, my sister the nurse tells me a normal dose of Ibuprofen is 800 mgs, so consuming four over the course of a long run might not be the worst thing in the world. In fact, as long as a hydration strategy is followed, hyponatremia isn't certain.

Plus there is Dan's comment below and consultation with other Ultra runners that seem to agree that anti-inflamatories might not be such a bad thing.

This just goes to show that anything must be under scrutiny and carefully considered, as everyone's body chemistry is different. Still not sure what to think, but believe me, I'll be looking into it.

1 comment:

Dan said...

Rob, I read a lot of race reports by ultra runners who pop the vitamin I like it's candy so I don't think you were being stupid about it. Seems like a common practice. Maybe not the best thing for the body, but not stupid!