Saturday, May 9, 2009

Final Thoughts Before the GAC Topsfield 6 Hour for Breast Cancer Research




A Little mood music for the Post...


First, I expect a fun time. Part of me wants to go all 6 Hours to for the adventure and challenge. The other part just wants to be out there to enjoy a good race with great people for as long as I can.


Second, of course I have distance goals, but this is still a training run and a grand experiment of what works and what doesn't work for me. I still have the far out thought of doing the Stone Cat 50 miler in November, and I will learn a great deal about myself tomorrow, physically, emotionally, and mentally. I'll also be learning the Pixie Trail Snail strategy. I hope I am a good student! :-)


Third, it is for a great cause, and I have family members and good friends who have battled with cancer, so when it starts getting hard, I'll have a reason or two to suck up and deal.


Finally, It is going to be fun. My knee sort of ached this morning working with my group of "First 5k" runners and walkers, but I didn't have the strap, and didn't adequately stretch the IT and surround muscle groups.

I have read a lot over the last couple weeks about nutrition and hydration, and think I generally have a plan - at least regarding the hydration end of things. Nutrition I generally have an idea, but my mind is swimming in the ratios and calories from carbs, and all that business. I don't want to mess that up too much, because it might end in a short day, but I also realize some of the mistakes I made in my long training runs, and that is a very good thing.

Here's to getting really zen tomorrow and having a good time.

Even before I want to throw out BIG thanks to Trail Pixie for volunteering to pace me for the first couple loops.

This is going to be fun!

Cheers!

2 comments:

Trail Pixie said...

Rob, The lightening bolt that struck outside the house sent me to weather.com...merely 10% chance of rain tomorrow. we are sooo crispy dry. The rain just makes out outfits heavier and more sheer. that could be a bad thing or a good thing. See you at the crack o dawn. Bring your stash of scooby snacks and we can share treats ate recess.

trailgrrl said...

Good luck today you two...I won't be there as I am tired from Wapack and need to give my mum some mother's day love : )