Friday, October 16, 2009

Gear Review Update - Petzl Tikka Plus Headlamp, and a Couple Other Quick Bits

When I first post my review of the Petzl Tikka Plus Headlamp last year I never realized I'd get so much mileage out of it!

As I got ready to head out on a short run last night after putting the kids to bed, I grabbed the headlamp and remembered that I should probably try to change the batteries. The illumination with the old batteries was still sufficient for the dark back country roads around my neighborhood, but I realized that the old batteries I was using were the ORIGINAL batteries I had started with when I bought the Petzl.

So I popped in three new triple A batteries and it was... ahem... like night and day. I was getting good illumination with the older batteries, but the new ones provided GREAT illumination.

I also have come to realize that the Petzl has lived up to its expectations as far as durability is concerned. It has been dropped a few times, I have used it in rain, sleet and snow, and it has seen its fair share of my sweat. Nevertheless, it continues to perform much better than I'd expect from a piece of gear that I use quite frequently.

The moral to the story is probably to change the batteries a little more often than one year if you are logging a fair amount of time running at night, but I have to say that I continue to be very, very pleased with the practicality and durability of the headlamp.

Very happy tracks for this somewhat noctural trail runner!
_____________________________________________________________

Looking ahead to this weekend, I am excited for the Ravenswood Race, though I still feel massively undertrained. It'll just be nice to hit the trails for the first time since Oxford - yes, I did run Wayland last week, but let's be honest, it was XC, not true trails! - and meet up with some of the regulars on the trail circuit. I still haven't decided if I am going to test the Vibrams on the course, mainly because I am reading a lot about some of the arguments for and against barefoot running, and I am not sure I know what to think right now.

In any event, the forecast is for temps in the mid 40's and lots of rain, so it will be an awesome time in the slop!

*Squish, Squish*

-RunninRob

1 comment:

pathfinder said...

Unfortunately I will have to break out my head lamp ...probably next week....I don't mind but it reminds me that the summer os gone..