Saturday, October 17, 2009

Why I Love Trail Running: Rain or Shine REALLY means Rain or Shine!

I just got this and I found it so awesome I couldn't resist posting it to the blog.

As I have mentioned, tomorrow I'll be getting back on the real trails at the Ravenswood Trail Race in Gloucester, MA. This afternoon we all received an email from the RD:

"Are you ready!? While I'm hoping that tomorrow's forecast is as accurate
as today's, meteorologists are making it sound as though tomorrow's race
will be a memorable one.

First thing: Yes, the race is on rain or shine. It's a trail race people!
You're lucky we're not making you run through any streams or scale any
rock faces.

That said, we will be making some adjustments due to the weather.
Ordinarily we strive for a festive post-race atmosphere and try to keep
everyone hanging out for a while afterwards. Well, this year, in
recognition of what looks to be epic weather, we are going to make
everything move as quickly as possible."

-Jenn Brooks, Ravenswood R.D.

Forecast:
"Sunday will be wet and windy with a gusty NE wind. The rain will be heaviest early and then tapers to showers. Temperatures again are only in the mid 40's. High tides will occure around noon and we may once again have some minor coastal flooding.

Sustained northeast winds will increase to 25 to 35 mph early Sunday morning with gusts potentially to between 50 and 60 mph, especially during the daylight hours on Sunday."

I probably seems a little sadistic, but I am always rooting for snow, wind, or rain when it comes to a race. The more elements, the better as far as I am concerned. I race for the adventure. Having grown and lived most of my life along the coast, I have always had a deep respect for the weather, but I also have a passion.

This is going to be fun!

Happy Trails, Rob!

No comments: