Saturday, May 8, 2010

Fudge It!!, or Why RunninRob is Impulsive

So tomorrow is the GAC Mother's Day 6-Hour Ultra.


Last year, Trail Pixie and I ran most of the 6 hours together, before dehydration had me a bit on edge.  Nevertheless, I ran for the duration of the race and snagged my first marathon, and then some, covering 27 miles.


Lately I have been dealing with a lack of clear goals, a lingering IT Band injury that has manifested more in my hip and glute than in my knee, but based on the fiasco at Eastern States a few months back, where it all started in the hip-butt region, I figure that is the case.  The clear goal isn't that big of a deal.  I am pretty sure the JFK 50 is off the table right now, as I am thinking I'd rather double up and run the Marine Corps Marathon, and then the Stone Cat Trail Marathon the following weekend.  Beyond that, I am looking to just get faster, lose more weight, and generally find more adventure on the trails.


So a couple weeks ago I had to bail on a long trail run, and had no intentions of running any upcoming ultras, but I am feeling like just jumping into the GAC 6-Hour will be just what I need.  Worst case scenario I drop out after a few laps and make a doctor's appointment to try to figure out if something in my hip or butt is torn, broken, or out of socket.  It wouldn't surprise me if that was the case.


Either way, I figure, bring on the challenge, I am not doing much of anything these days, and if I end up in a pile of sadness in the middle of the woods, that is better than sitting on the couch complaining and feeling sorry for myself.


Away we go!

2 comments:

RawBodyGoddess said...

That was my theory yesterday, lol. I figured if I went out and then felt like crap, I'd drop. Better to go out and try than sit on the couch and mope, no? ;) I really hope all goes well, and I can't wait to hear how your run went!

Trail Pixie Trespas said...

Rob, just saw your post here! I hope your ITB is healing? It was fun in 2009, eh? I ran 29 miles this year and for some dumba$$ reason I didn't head out for one more mile to make it 30. I had 15 minutes, which was plenty o' time. wil have to make a plan to go back to GAC in 2011. You run, too!