Sunday, October 10, 2010

Nothing a Little Mileage Can't Handle...

So not that I ma breaking any records with this, but I officially logged 49 miles this past week of training.  Sure, much of it was based on run/walk type training, but somehow I arrived at the end of the week with nearly 50 miles and just a little soreness in my knees from yesterday on the trails.


I won't go into great detail about the long run yesterday, but basically Breakheart Dan and I met up to run the Stone Cat Course.  We took it really easy and added in many walking breaks.  The day was amazingly brilliant, and a classic New England Fall day, and it was one that you live for as a runner.  Was really glad to share it with Dan, but after hearing his ITB flaired up big time today, I am a little disappointed.  Dan is a great person, totally dedicated to the sport of trail running and ultra running, and deserves way better than he is getting right now with his ITB tendinitis issues.



After Dan and I completed the loop, 12.5 miles, I headed back out on the trails for a few more miles on the trails, as well as a few miles on the roads home to my place.  All told I grabbed another 5 to 5.5 miles on the trails, and then about three on the roads home.  Total for the day was 21.25 miles, at about 4 h, 12 m.


I felt pretty crushed for the rest of the day, mostly because I didn't hydrate nearly enough before and during the run, but Sunday brought more great weather and I was really looking forward to getting outside.


We decided on taking the kids on a short hike through Maudsley State Park, and covered a couple of miles.  I even got a little running fix by wearing my INOV8's for the hike and challenging the kids to a couple short trail races over the terrain.  Maudsley is a fairly popular park, and it is hard to find a trail where you are ever alone for too long, which can be good or bad, but we also had the opportunity to stop and listen carefully, and heard a Great Horned Owl off in the distance.


After our excursion I wanted to get a short couple miles, which inevitably turned into five when I tried shortening my stride and taking it very easy.  I think I found that true marathon pace, and with a good taper and a little recovery might be able to go sub-4 hours at the Marine Corps Marathon, which would be fantastic.


Nevertheless, I am not afraid of the start or the race itself.  I had some serious soul searching and BIG thoughts today.  All of our personal hang ups seem to get rapidly burned away when you realize that one day you will be dead, and this current life we are living will be over.  No matter what you believe, all that you have in this life will be gone, and as far as I can see, there is no proof if we will carry our memories with us.  So the best I can come up with is to try my best as a Father, be good and reliable to my friends, and not pass up any time to spend with loved ones, or miss out on any adventures because of emotional distress.  This life seems long and arduous sometimes, but it is always moving, more and more rapidly as they days go by, and we have to cherish each one.


In love and truth, be who you want to be, do what you need to do, and make a difference in the world.  As the old campsite mantra goes, leave it better than it was when you arrived.


Happy trails!

No comments: