Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Pineland Farms 50 Miler - Short Version

I have not been very good to my blog, I know.  It has been over three months since posting, but I have really had a 'shut up and train' attitude.

In the past three months I have run two races, including the Pineland Farms 50 Miler in Maine a couple days ago.

I owe the readers of this blog a couple posts in greater detail about where I have been and what I have been doing leading up to Pineland, but in the interest of time I'll give you some quick notes on my Pineland Farms experience.

Finish - 10 hours, 46 minutes, 56 seconds -- new trail 50 mile PR by 55 minutes!

First, it is a fantastic event!  Even for runners like me that do their 50 miles over the course of hours that number in the double digits, you still see the festival at the start finish area when you complete the various loops of the course that make up each 15.5 mile lap.

Second, I am not sure there is such thing as a 'perfect' day when it comes to running 50 miles.  Once the dust settled, I am VERY happy with my finish and my time, but the day was one that had so many challenges.  Then again, for those that have run ultras, I think we understand that over the course of 50 miles you will be challenged.

Third, the word of the day for me, especially given my comment above, was adaptation.  I came into the race with a plan... scratch that.... I came into the race with a well thought out plan, and as the day unfolded - even within the first 3.5 miles - I needed to re-evaluate and make decisions on the spot that were vital to my success and survival.

Fourth, finishers are winners.  I don't say this in arrogance at all, but the 50 miler at Pineland Farms seemed to have about a 33% rate of entrants that DNS'd, DNF'd, or dropped down to another race distance.  I think I finished 109th out of about 120, but am not disappointed at all, because I know how freaking hard I had to work just to get there.  There is NO fudging your way through 50 miles.

Fifth, I am starting to really like the experience of doing the 50 mile distance... this could be a problem.

Finally, I am so blessed to have the ability to do these, and am blessed twice to have friends and family that support and enjoy these events with me.

Hoping to do a more detailed post later...

Happy Trails!

2 comments:

kZ said...

Congratulations Rob... if you still need more cowbell, there's always next year :)

pathfinder said...

congrats ROB, wish I had run into you there....Pineland is surely a different type of terrain, seems easy until the relentless rolling hills beat your ass up